Tuesday, June 23, 2015

What Do Underwriters Actually Do Anyway?

By: Scott Shenton, Mortgage Banker



For anyone who’s been through the mortgage process, particularly in the current regulation-heavy environment, they may feel that underwriter’s only purpose is to be difficult. Although it may feel that way sometimes, underwriters actually are the superheroes of the mortgage industry. 

To appreciate why underwriters are so indispensable, it’s important to first understand a few of the underlying processes in the mortgage industry. No matter which institution you choose to do your mortgage, it’s a near certainty that that loan will one day be sold to a different institution. This buying and selling of mortgages is collectively referred to as the “secondary market”. It’s this buying and selling of mortgages, that enables institutions to continue to have funds to lend and without this market, the entire system would come to a screeching halt. For a mortgage to be considered viable on the secondary market, it must be structured and delivered in a way that proves that it is indeed a good investment (adequately low risk) and is consistent with industry standards.
  
This brings us back to the heroes of this story, the underwriters. Loans are delivered to underwriters complete with a large collection of supporting documents intended to prove a borrower’s income, ability to repay the loan, credit worthiness and the circumstances in which they are purchasing the property. An underwriter’s job is to then look at the big picture and ask the difficult questions.  Is the borrower’s income consistent and stable? Are the borrowers using the property as a primary residence, 2nd home, or investment? Are all debts being taken in to consideration when determining a borrower’s ability to repay the loan? Does the loan make sense, and will it be purchased by an investor?

Underwriters are expected to pose questions that may impact the loan’s marketability and request additional documentation to answer these questions. When an underwriter has done their job well, the loan will easily be sold and will continue on, issue free. It’s this step that keeps the secondary market, and ultimately the mortgage industry plugging along.

So take it easy when answering an underwriter’s request for additional information and thank them. They keep homebuying possible. Want additional information about the homebuying process? Request a copy of our homebuyer’s guide or apply online.

7 comments:

  1. MRS. IRENE QUERY FINANCE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN {mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    God bless you Mum, I will not stop telling the world about your kindness in my life, I am a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Mrs.Rachel Alex, and I am from Singapore . A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE, that they can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. I have been in a financial mess for the pass 7 months now,She advised I give it a try so I mailed her and explain all about my financial situation to her, she therefore took me through the loan process and gave me a loan of $180,000.00 at a very low interest rate of 3% and today I am a proud business owner and can now take good care of my kids, If you must contact any firm to get any amount of loan you need with a low interest rate of 3% and better repayment schedule, please contact MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE via email{mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot thank lemeridian funding service enough and letting people know how grateful I am for all the assistance that you and your team staff have provided and I look forward to recommending friends and family should they need financial advice or assistance @ 1,9% Rate for Business Loan .Via Contact : . lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com. WhatsApp...+ 19893943740. Keep up the great work.
    Thanks, Busarakham

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All thanks to Elegant loan firm for helping me secure a loan of $1,000,000.00 USD to establish my Foodstuff supermarket business in different places. I have been looking for financial help for the past four years. But now, I am completely stressed free with all the help of the loan officer Mr Russ Harry. So, I will advise any person who seeks funds to improve his or her business to contact this great firm for help, and it is real and tested. You can reach him through- Email --Elegantloanfirm@Hotmail.com-  or Whats-app +393511617486.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you need a quick loan? We are offering a loan grant up to 500k Pounds to private and 1m Pounds to corporate companies. All you need is to open and activate an investment account with us. We also offer direct loans at 3% ROI. Get back for more details at - loan.aib.request@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete