Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Understanding Your HELOC and Repayment: What You Need To Know

By: Eric Gates, President

During the housing boom of the mid 2000’s, Home Equity Lines of Credit (HELOC) were originated at a record pace. A home equity line of credit is a loan in which the lender agrees to lend a maximum amount within an agreed period (called a term), where the collateral is the borrower's equity in his/her house.  In particular, between 2004 and 2008, a significant number of HELOCs with terms of 10 years were created. The draw period for these lines of credit are coming to an end,  evoking conversation on what happens now.

Here is a brief summary of important facts anyone with an existing HELOC should get familiar with:


·      All terms of your HELOC are outlined in the documents you signed when opening your account and should be reviewed to gain familiarity. In particular, read through your HELOC Agreement.  
·      Your interest rate is adjustable and is tied to the prime rate. The prime rate is a commonly used, short-term interest rate used by most banks in the United States. The rate on your HELOC is typically adjusts as the prime rate rises and falls.
·      The prime rate is currently 3.25%. This rate is not static and is subject to change.
·      Rates are expected to rise sometime in the next year or two.
·      All HELOC’s start with a draw period during which the borrower can access the funds on the line of credit.  Typically, the minimum payment during this time frame is interest only, although in some cases it may be a percentage of the outstanding balance.

Which changes can you expect to come to your repayment terms now that your line of credit is amortizing?


·      The initial draw period for HELOCs opened in the 2004-2008 time frame was ten years, in most cases. Some have already moved beyond the draw period and millions more will be doing so within the next few years. Make sure you know when this will happen in your case so you can prepare for it in advance.  DON’T JUST WAIT FOR YOUR HELOC LENDER TO INFORM YOU.
·      At the end of the draw period, the minimum payment requirements change, sometimes drastically, as the HELOC enters the repayment term and funds can no longer be accessed from the Line.  
·      The payments required after the draw period are recalculated so that the balance can be paid off in a specified period of time.  Check your HELOC Agreement to know how long this time period will be.  It is likely to be 5, 10, or 20 years.
·       The shorter that time frame for repayment is, THE MORE YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE GOING UP.  For example, you’d have to pay a lot more each month to pay down the balance in 5 or 10 years than you would to pay if off in 20.

So what should you do?


·         Read your HELOC Agreement and get familiar with the terms.
·         Use an online calculator or ask a Mortgage Banker to determine what your payment will change to based on your balance, interest rate, and the length of the repayment term.
·         Consult with your trusted mortgage advisor to see if there are options to refinance that make sense for you to consider.  Make sure you consult with someone who will give you an honest answer and will be looking out for your best interest, not theirs.
·         If refinancing isn’t an option and the new payment structure is going to be difficult for you to meet, proactively contact your HELOC lender before the adjustment period to see what options they can offer.  While some lenders may work with you to make the repayment terms more affordable, this is not guaranteed.

Navigating changes to your HELOC can be difficult and an experienced Mortgage Banker can help you find the answers to your specific questions. Contact me to discuss your situation and how we can find a solution to meet your needs.

7 comments:

  1. Great information. Must be shared with others.

    Harry @ Bonifacio Global City

    ReplyDelete
  2. MRS. IRENE QUERY FINANCE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN {mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    God bless you Mum, I will not stop telling the world about your kindness in my life, I am a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Mrs.Rachel Alex, and I am from Singapore . A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE, that they can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. I have been in a financial mess for the pass 7 months now,She advised I give it a try so I mailed her and explain all about my financial situation to her, she therefore took me through the loan process and gave me a loan of $180,000.00 at a very low interest rate of 3% and today I am a proud business owner and can now take good care of my kids, If you must contact any firm to get any amount of loan you need with a low interest rate of 3% and better repayment schedule, please contact MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE via email{mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All thanks to Elegant loan firm for helping me secure a loan of $1,000,000.00 USD to establish my Foodstuff supermarket business in different places. I have been looking for financial help for the past four years. But now, I am completely stressed free with all the help of the loan officer Mr Russ Harry. So, I will advise any person who seeks funds to improve his or her business to contact this great firm for help, and it is real and tested. You can reach him through- Email --Elegantloanfirm@Hotmail.com-  or Whats-app +393511617486.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone, I am Jennifer Robert, currently living in New Jersey . I am a single mom at the moment with two kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in May 2019 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit ,do not full prey to those hoodlums at there that call them self-money lender they are all lies , all they want is your money and you will not hear from them again they have done it to me twice before I met Mr. Anderson Raymond. I will advise you to contact Mr. Anderson if you are interested in getting a loan and you are sure you can pay them back on time you can contact them No credit check, no cosigner with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan.

    Email: andersonraymondloanfinance@gmail.com
    Phone: +1 (719) 629 0982
    Facebook Page : Anderson Raymond Loan
    Visit them Office Address @ (68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240

    When it comes to financial crisis and loan then Anderson Raymond loan financial is the place to go.

    ReplyDelete