Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Why Do I Need So Many Documents When Applying for a Mortgage?


Today’s mortgage standards require more documentation than ever before.  So much in fact, it can sometimes feel overwhelming. Why do you need so many documents? Let’s explore.

Throughout the years leading up to the housing bubble of 2007, millions of mortgages were made with little to no verification of borrower’s ability to repay the loan, their credit worthiness, and a host of other factors that could alert a lender to a risky situation.   The reason for this was that housing prices were headed up so quickly, that even if a mortgage defaulted, the bank would likely have enough equity to cover it, thus wouldn’t likely suffer any loss.  Unfortunately, many mortgages did in fact default causing the market spiraled out of control.

This all changed in 2008 when the bubble burst.  Borrowers who couldn’t afford their homes started defaulting on their loans.  As these homes foreclosed, it negatively affected the value of nearby homes, causing more people to default on their loans, sending the entire housing market, and our national economy into a tail spin.

Things have stabilized a great deal since then and regulations have been put into place to help ensure that this does not happen again. One of these measures is to require that a borrower’s ability to repay the loan is verified and documented beyond any doubt. 

Today it is expected that a borrower’s income is fully verified with pay stubs, along with a two year history of W2’s and Federal tax returns.  In the case of self-employed borrowers, business tax returns and profit and loss statements must also be submitted to verify the profitability of the business.

Assets are also required to be documented and it’s for two purposes; required cash for closing and reserve funds.  Not only does a borrower have to prove that they have adequate funds for closing, they also need to prove that those funds are available to use and are not the result of an unrecorded loan with the expectation of repayment, which could affect a borrowers ability to repay their mortgage. This regulation ensures that the funds planned for closing costs or reserves are not owed to anyone else.

Two months of statements must be collected for all relevant bank accounts.  Should any deposits greater than 50% of the gross household income be made, it too must be documented with additional statements and check copies.  In the case of a gift, special documentation attesting to the details surrounding the gift must also be submitted.

Depending on the loan type and the number of properties you own, between two and six month’s payment reserves must also be verified. This is usually verified using two months of savings, retirement or investment statements.  Again, any large deposits will introduce new accounts which must show a two month history.  If those new accounts have a large deposit, yet another account will have to be verified, and so on.

In additional to all of the documents already listed, copies of government issued photo IDs, condo association/home owners association dues, real estate tax bills, mortgage statements, rental leases and insurance policies on investment properties must also all be verified.

The documentation requirements have grown exponentially since 2008 and can feel extremely invasive at times.  However burdensome this may seem, it’s also easy to see why these steps were taken and why it’s best to trust the process. Every borrower, regardless of their income or status has to document the same things. The process of applying and taking out a mortgage certainly can be frustrating, however being thorough with your application and being engaged in the process will make the process a whole lot easier.  Remember that by applying for a mortgage, you’re asking a bank to lend you a LOT of money, and by providing all the documentation requested, you’re helping the bank understand why you’re not a risky investment.  The more the bank understands this, the easier your mortgage process will be.
   
For more information on how to create the perfect loan file, take a look as this great article by Forbes.

Prepare your documents early. Use our purchase checklist or our refinance checklist to get organized and help your mortgage process run more smoothly. If you have your documents and are ready to make your homebuying dream a reality, let’s talk about getting pre-approved today!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I need to organize my files right now.

    Augustus @ Kroma Tower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organizing my documents right now. Travelling toBonifacio high street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is very informative, All points are very useful.I add one website where you could also get good information about Houston Mortgage rates and also check out our process. We are one of them mortgage companies in Houston. Mortgage Rates Houston
    Mortgage companies Houston tx

    ReplyDelete

  4. MRS. IRENE QUERY FINANCE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN {mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    God bless you Mum, I will not stop telling the world about your kindness in my life, I am a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Mrs.Rachel Alex, and I am from Singapore . A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE, that they can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. I have been in a financial mess for the pass 7 months now,She advised I give it a try so I mailed her and explain all about my financial situation to her, she therefore took me through the loan process and gave me a loan of $180,000.00 at a very low interest rate of 3% and today I am a proud business owner and can now take good care of my kids, If you must contact any firm to get any amount of loan you need with a low interest rate of 3% and better repayment schedule, please contact MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE via email{mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing such great information with us. Its help me in finding out more detail about Mortgage Loan in UAE .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All thanks to Elegant loan firm for helping me secure a loan of $1,000,000.00 USD to establish my Foodstuff supermarket business in different places. I have been looking for financial help for the past four years. But now, I am completely stressed free with all the help of the loan officer Mr Russ Harry. So, I will advise any person who seeks funds to improve his or her business to contact this great firm for help, and it is real and tested. You can reach him through- Email --Elegantloanfirm@Hotmail.com-  or Whats-app +393511617486.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello everyone, I am Jennifer Robert, currently living in New Jersey . I am a single mom at the moment with two kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in May 2019 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit ,do not full prey to those hoodlums at there that call them self-money lender they are all lies , all they want is your money and you will not hear from them again they have done it to me twice before I met Mr. Anderson Raymond. I will advise you to contact Mr. Anderson if you are interested in getting a loan and you are sure you can pay them back on time you can contact them No credit check, no cosigner with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan.

    Email: andersonraymondloanfinance@gmail.com
    Phone: +1 (719) 629 0982
    Facebook Page : Anderson Raymond Loan
    Visit them Office Address @ (68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240

    When it comes to financial crisis and loan then Anderson Raymond loan financial is the place to go.

    ReplyDelete